ASDF - Advanced Scientific Data Format¶
asdf is a tool for reading and writing Advanced Scientific Data
Format (ASDF) files.
The Advanced Scientific Data Format (ASDF) is a next-generation interchange format for scientific data. This package contains the Python implementation of the ASDF Standard. More information on the ASDF Standard itself can be found here.
The ASDF format has the following features:
A hierarchical, human-readable metadata format (implemented using YAML)
Numerical arrays are stored as binary data blocks which can be memory mapped. Data blocks can optionally be compressed.
The structure of the data can be automatically validated using schemas (implemented using JSON Schema)
Native Python data types (numerical types, strings, dicts, lists) are serialized automatically
ASDF can be extended to serialize custom data types
This is the Advanced Scientific Data Format - if you are looking for the Adaptable Seismic Data Format, go here: http://seismic-data.org/
- Core Features
- Command line tool
- What’s new in asdf 2.8.2?
- What’s new in asdf 2.8.1?
- What’s new in asdf 2.8.0?
- What’s new in asdf 2.7.5?
- What’s New in asdf 2.7.4?
- What’s New in asdf 2.7.3?
- What’s New in asdf 2.7.2?
- What’s New in asdf 2.7.1?
- What’s New in asdf 2.7.0?
- What’s New in asdf 2.6.0?
- What’s New in asdf 2.5.2?
- What’s New in asdf 2.5.1?
- What’s New in asdf 2.5.0?
- What’s New in asdf 2.4.2?
- What’s New in asdf 2.3.3?
- What’s New in asdf 2.3.1?
- What’s New in asdf 2.3?
- What’s New in asdf 2.2?
- What’s New in asdf 2.1?
- What’s New in asdf 2.0?
- Change Log
- Common use cases
- URIs in ASDF
- ASDF schemas
- Resources and resource mappings
- Extension manifests
- Binary block compressors
- Deprecated extension API
Currently a work in progress. Intended to give an overview of how the various parts of ASDF interact and which modules do what and how.
Contributing and reporting issues¶
We welcome feedback and contributions of all kinds. Contributions of code, documentation, or general feedback are all appreciated.
Feature requests and bug reports for the Python implementation can be posted at asdf’s github page.
The ASDF Standard itself also has a repository on github. Suggestions for improvements to the ASDF Standard can be reported here.